The Construction of Light
And a dog can dream; should it be implausible
That a man might supervise
The construction of light?"
– Adrian Belew
Yesterday I gave a keynote lecture at Beyond AI 2013: Aritficial Golem Intelligence, in Pilsen, Czech Republic. As I explained at the beginning of the talk, I adopted a broadcast (many topics covered lightly), rather than my usual narrowcast (a single topic covered in depth, with arguments!), strategy.
My apologies for the sound: there were technical difficulties with the microphones at several points.
Approaching artificial general intelligence (AGI) from the perspective of machine consciousness (MC), I will briefly address as many of the topic areas of the conference as possible within the time allotted:
- The mind is extended, but Otto's beliefs are not in his notebook; Prosthetic AI vs AGI (Nature of Intelligence)
- Scepticism about MC and the threat of atrocity (Risks and Ethical Challenges)
- Theodicy, the paradox of AI, and the Imago Dei; Naturalising the Spiritual (Faith in AGI)
- Narrative, dreams and MC; Herbert's Destination Void as research programme (Social and Cultural Discourse)
- How to fix GOFAI; the Mereological Constraint on MC (Invoking Emergence)
- Artificial creativity as embodied seeking of the subjective edge of chaos (AI and Art)
• Streaming video (hosted externally)
• Slides (.pdf)